Inspections & Securities

Long Term Monitoring Submittal

Many TRPA permits have requirements for long term monitoring which require that photos or reports be submitted on an annual basis. This monitoring helps to ensure that revegetation has become established, that scenic screening for new developments is successful, or that fish habitat is being protected.

To submit monitoring photos or reports, please complete the online application. The total file size for all photos or files combined is 25mb. If your attachments add up to more than 25mb it will not be accepted. You may submit more than one application for a single property if needed. Accepted file types include pdf and jpeg.

Inspection Requests (Pre-Grade / Final Inspections / Security Returns)

To request a TRPA final inspection OR a Pre-grade inspection contact the inspector for your area. Prior to request please make sure your permit was issued by TRPA and that ALL requirements of the TRPA permit are completed. Additional final inspections will require an additional fee per inspection.

TRPA Inspectors:

Inspection Area: Placer County and Washoe County

Matt Miller
(775) 589-5234

Inspection Area: Douglas County, El Dorado County, City of South Lake Tahoe

Taylor Currier
(775) 589-5267


Inspection and Pre-Grade FAQs

What is a pre-grade inspection and do I need one before I start construction?

A pre-grade inspection is an on-site meeting to review installation of temporary Best Management Practices (BMPs), to go over permit conditions, and to discuss general construction practices.  All construction projects, with the exception of work that is exempt or qualified exempt, require a pre-grade inspection.

Who do I call to perform the inspection?

If your permit was issued by TRPA, contact the inspector assigned to your area.

If your permit was issued through a local jurisdiction please contact them directly to schedule your inspection.

City of South Lake Tahoe
(530) 542-6010

El Dorado County
(530) 573-3330

Washoe County
(775) 328-2020

Placer County
(530) 581-6200

Douglas County
(775) 782-6224

How do I prepare for my pre-grade inspection?

  • Install temporary erosion control BMPs and vegetation protection fencing per the approved plans
  • Have your acknowledged permit and approved plans on site
  • If you are removing trees that would interfere with the BMP’s or vegetation protection fencing, please contact your inspector for approval to remove them prior to the pre-grade

How far in advance must I call to schedule an appointment?

In most cases we are able schedule a pre-grade inspection within 3 business days of your request.  While we always try to fulfill specific appointment date/time requests, inspections are scheduled on a first-come basis.  Please call as far in advance as possible to ensure space on your preferred date.

How do I get my TRPA security released?

Prior to release of your security, your property much pass a final TRPA inspection.  Before requesting your inspection, review your permit and approved plans to make sure the following items are in compliance:

  • Coverage: Includes all structures, walkways, driveways, etc. shown on the approved plans. Any coverage not shown on the approved plans must be removed and the area restored prior to the return of the security.
  • Best Management Practices: All infiltration devices (dripline trenches, driveway trenches, slotted drains, swales, etc.) must be properly installed, maintained and functioning. The sizing and location must match the approved details on the plans and calculation spreadsheet. Provide photos of all subsurface infiltration devices, clearly showing the dimensions prior to backfill.
  • Re-vegetation: All bare soil areas must be stabilized in accordance with the documents the Living with Fire guide and the Home Landscaping Guide for the Lake Tahoe Basin.  All vegetation must be established prior to the release of the security. To be considered established, vegetation growing from seed must substantially cover the ground and potted plants must show new growth.
  • Elevation, Dimension, and Height: The structure(s) shall match those shown on the approved plans.
  • Slope Stabilization: All slopes shall be stabilized using vegetation, rock rip-rap, retaining walls, or other permanent methods. Retaining walls may need to be engineered and permitted; please contact your TRPA inspector with questions.
  • Tree Removal: Shall be in accordance with the approved plans, or be permitted with a separate tree removal permit issued by TRPA or the local Fire Department/Fire Protection District.
  • Other Special Conditions: Please review your permit for other special conditions that will need to be completed prior to security release. This may include scenic requirements, long term monitoring, or post-construction photos.

After you have reviewed the above items, please contact your TRPA Inspector to request the final inspection.  Please provide your TRPA File number, Assessor Parcel Number (APN), and address.

If your permit was issued through a local jurisdiction, please call them directly to schedule your final inspection.

What happens if I don’t pass my final inspection?

  • You will be notified in writing of all items that need to be fixed
  • Once all deficiencies have been addressed, contact TRPA to request a re-inspection of your property
  • A re-inspection fee is required
  • Your property will be re-inspected
  • Once the inspection passes, the security will be returned

How long do I typically need to wait once I have requested a final inspection?

In most cases a final inspection will be completed within 10 business days of your request.  Please keep in mind that we are normally unable to complete final inspections when the ground in covered in snow, so the wait time may be longer if your request is received during the winter months.

What are TRPA’s tree protection guidelines?

Download TRPA’s Tree Protection Tips

Winterization Information

Sites must be winterized by October 15. Download the Site Winterization Guidelines

Grading Season Exemptions

UPDATE 2016-2017: “Active/Suspended” statuses will no longer be posted to this website. It is the permittee’s responsibility to abide by all Conditions of Approval listed at the bottom of this page.

All grading/soil disturbing activities must be suspended during periods of precipitation or when the soil is covered in snow, saturated, or muddy.

The Lake Tahoe Basin grading season runs from May 1 through October 15. Outside of the grading season, all soil disturbing activities (excavating, backfilling, etc.) are prohibited unless a Grading Season Exception (GSE) is issued by TRPA. GSE’s are only approved for projects where an emergency exists and the grading is necessary for the protection of public health and safety, for erosion control purposes, or for the protection of water quality. If you feel your project meets this criterion, continue reading to find out more about how to request a Grading Season Exception.

The following activities do not require a GSE, even outside the grading season:

  • Up to 3 cubic yards of soil disturbance (when not part of a larger project) if completed within 48 hours and the site is stabilized to prevent erosion
  • Backfilling using clean/washed gravel (equipment confined to pavement)
  • Paving, if all grading and base compaction is already completed


  1. Gather information about the property. In order to complete the form, you will need the permit number (TRPA, County, or City permit) and either the property address or APN.
  2. Fill out the ONLINE FORM. Register for an account with our online records service in order to access online applications. Sign into your account and click the link “create an application.”
  3. Pay fees. The online form requires payment by credit card. If you wish to pay by cash or check, visit our office to fill out a form. The fee is required for review of your request and does not guarantee approval. No refunds will be issued if your request is denied.
  4. Once your request is submitted, a confirmation e-mail will be sent to the address provided.  An inspector will review your request and will send e-mail notification within 3 business days to let you know if your request has been approved or denied.
  5. Occasional e-mail updates may be sent out regarding weather conditions or other important news related to your grading season exception.
  6. To notify TRPA that your work is complete and site fully winterized, send an e-mail to Make sure to reference your GSE file number in all correspondence.


  • Residential projects: $60
  • All other non-residential projects: $148
  • EIP projects: contact your inspector for more information


  1. Temporary BMPs must be installed and fully functioning at all times.
  2. All grading/soil disturbing activities must be suspended during periods of precipitation or when the soil is covered in snow, saturated, or muddy.
  3. The property owner/contractor is responsible for checking the National Weather Service forecast daily to determine if weather conditions are appropriate for grading/soil disturbing activities.
  4. The property owner/contractor must be able to winterize the construction site within 12 hours, in case weather conditions change suddenly.
  5. No sediment or waste materials may be discharged from the construction site.
  6. Upon completion of the grading/soil disturbing activities the entire site must be winterized in accordance with the TRPA Winterization Guidelines.
  7. Failure to comply with the conditions of the Grading Season Exception and Winterization Guidelines may result in a penalty of up to $5,000 per violation per day.