TRPA is working to improve customer service and protect Lake Tahoe by closely tracking the issues affecting communities. Please use the complaint form link below to let us know when environmental quality is threatened.

Complaint Form

Emergency & After Hours Contact:

Steve Sweet, Code Compliance Manger
Office: (775) 589-5250
Mobile: (775) 220-4607
Send an email:

To report a HazMat spill

In Nevada, call the Nevada Division of Environmental Protection
(888) 331-6337

Or Nevada Division of Emergency Management
(775) 688-2830

In California, call the California Office of Emergency Services:
(800) 852-7750

(888) 334-2258

If I see an activity that concerns me, who do I contact?

  • If the complaint relates to construction noise, construction hours are NOT limited to 8 am – 6:30 pm. These are the hours they are EXEMPT (if applicable) from the noise ordinance. It is very difficult for construction noise to fail the noise test as it is taken over a 24–hour period with noise during exempt hours (if applicable) taken out. It is best to ask them if they will limit things like hammering, jackhammers, etc. to after 8 a.m.
  • If the complaint is in TRPA area (if can be seen from lake or SR28, SR89, SR207, US HWY50, SR 267, Pioneer Trail or mapped scenic recreation areas [ex. Sand Harbor] or is in Douglas Co.), call TRPA at (775) 588–4547 and ask for the inspector in the area of the complaint.
  • If the complaint is in another area of CSLT not covered by the above, the CSLT Bldg. Dept. at (530) 542–6017
  • If the complaint is in another area of El Dorado Co. not covered by the above, call the El Dorado Co. Bldg. Dept. at (530) 573–3330
  • If the complaint in other area of Washoe Co. not covered by the above, call the Washoe Co. Bldg. Dept. at (775) 832–4140
  • If in other area of Placer Co. not covered by the above, call the Placer Co. Bldg. Dept. at ((530) 581–6205

Complaint Form

For the following activities: trash, abandoned vehicles, and nuisance issues, contact your local enforcement office. For neighborhood animal problems (bears, coyotes, dogs, etc.) contact animal control. Complaints can be made anonymously.

What is the penalty for violations of the Regional Plan/Code of Ordinances?

Any person who violates any ordinance or regulation of the Agency is subject to a civil penalty not to exceed $5,000 and an additional civil penalty not to exceed $5,000 per day, for each day on which a violation persists. In imposing the penalties authorized by this subdivision, the court shall consider the nature of the violation and shall impose a greater penalty if it was willful or resulted from gross negligence than if it resulted from inadvertence or simple negligence. The TRPA Governing Board has taken a very serious stance at violations. Penalties can be high and restoration is required.